Sunday, November 11, 2012


FIVE REASONS WHY I LIKE STORYTELLING

REASON 1: IT PUSHES MY COMFORT ZONE

Three years ago when I first began attending Peterborough Storytellers, I was no stranger to telling stories as part of my job, with family and friends and occasionally to the nice, but bored lady at the local Tim’s drive-through window. In fact, my wife and kids would say that I rarely met a crowd or audience that I didn’t like and at the slightest hint of interest, would launch into an amusing anecdote or personal story!

I went along as the interested but curious guest of a relative to my first ever Storyteller’s meeting. It was held in the auditorium of the local library and about ten or twelve other people were already there. Chairs were arranged in a semi-circle around another chair that was facing the circle and on a swatch of fabric on the floor in front of the chair was a ‘talking stick’. Tradition in storytelling circles is that the teller of the moment holds the stick as a symbol that they have been given the authority by the listeners to talk uninterrupted.

That evening, several of the more experienced members of the group told tales they had adapted or taken directly from myths, folk lore or legends. I was impressed with how each of these women crafted their story, performing it with such energy and enthusiasm. Everyone listening, myself included, were drawn into the stories in such a powerful and often unexpected way. I just had to be part of this night, so unexpectedly I found myself picking up the talking stick and sharing a personal story from my time as a social worker. I was hooked. From then until now, I have held the stick at just about every gathering.

I quickly realized that I had a great deal to learn about choosing and telling an interesting story. Prior to this, I thought I was an exceptionally good teller of ‘real life’ tales and anecdotes to workplace audiences. But to translate those skills and that experience into the public storytelling venue would demand much more thought, careful selection of story theme and message, lots of practice followed by even more practice. And even some coaching.

As I watched my local tellers perform their stories not only with words but drum, flute, harp, song, masks and amazing character voices, I realized that if I was going to do well at this new activity, I had to get far more disciplined about my preparation and delivery. I had to invite both helpful and critical comments from my group members, take a storytelling course or two, attend other telling events with fresh tellers that I didn’t spend time with on a regular basis. Instead of reading only what my wife somewhat sarcastically calls ‘Who Shot The President’ type books, I had to make room for books, articles and videos on the art of storytelling by some of the best author-tellers in the US and here in Canada. It was all going to be a new and I admit, strange and unfamiliar genre for me.

I have been at it now for almost two and a half years. I’m a reasonably good teller but I know I could become even better with more focused learning and practice. Yes, I still often feel awkward in my new storytelling comfort zone, but I think that’s as it should be. What do you think?

To be continued…

Written by Don Herald (A member of Peterborough Storytellers)

No comments:

Post a Comment