Monday, April 15, 2013


Creativity: The Encourager

April 11, 2013

Posted by jayocallahan in Creativity
Years ago my friend Doug Lipman and I were leading a week long workshop in creativity and storytelling in southern France. Our whole group – the Creative Monsters – were staying at a large house where we were served beautiful meals and were also given painting lessons.
Most of us were new to painting. I painted a window of the house and still have that in my study. The instructor said to the group, “Jay’s painting captured an image we’ll never forget.”
I think that was true. I’m sure the painting was amateurish but he saw what was alive in it and pointed that out. That delighted and encouraged me to create more.
All of us have this vast mysterious playful side to us. There’s a great playground in us and out of that playground comes the work of Picasso. Out of that playground also comes a song we might sing, a drawing we might do, a kind but creative word to a friend. There are huge negative voices that perhaps are cultural, but those voices are destructive. They say, “There is no time. I can’t draw” or “I can’t write” or “I’m not creative; that’s for talented people.”
Nonsense! You are creative. Let it out, plunk on a piano, whistle, try a pickle on your peanut butter sandwich. Or even take a workshop and find out how helpful it is to have a supportive, trustful, playful group.
Curator's Note: Jay graciously gave Tales and Tips permission to use this latest post on his Creativity blog. We recommend his blog to you. Also check out his personal blog: www.jayocallahan.com.  Jay's workshops are wonderful and we have taken one of them by the ocean in Marshfield MA last spring. Refresh yourself. Re-discover your creativity with Jay O'Callahan.   d

No comments:

Post a Comment