Thursday, February 27, 2014

AN ATTEMPT AT ORAL GEEKISH SCIENCE FICTION

By Peter Spasov

Storytelling is about performance and is often metaphorical.  Although we can draw on a vast collection of stories from which to tell, some strive to make up their own fiction.    It is an ambition of mine to write fiction which is one of the reasons for joining Peterborough Storytellers.   

Later, I enrolled in a MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) named Stunt Writing For Personal Growth.   (See link at the end of this article.)  This is a process that uses writing as a tool for you to learn about yourself and gain skills in communicating your own unique story.  I suspect the intent is for effectively communicating one’s personal story, but I highjacked it for inventing a story.  I’m not sure, but I suspect many people take this course more for a self-help reason.  Although everyone including me can use help, I’m not in a personal crisis, as far as I know.  I just want to develop creative writing, period.  Alas, it is also hard work and requires persistence.

In short, I choose as my stunt, the challenge to write an original story and perform it in front of an audience.  To raise the stakes a bit, I included the task to write about the experience and post it in Peterborough Storyteller’s blog.  Hence, here it is: voilá.  

It’s hard to remember my exact inspiration process.  For sure, I’ve always pictured a theme of time travel and seeing if you could prosper in the past.  And I enjoy Science Fiction, the type that requires thinking.  I am not a ‘shoot ‘em up and zap ‘em with laser beams’ kind of guy.  There are dog people and there are cat people.  Similarly, there are Star Trek people and Star Wars people.  I happen to be a dog person who likes Star Trek.  If you wish, think Sheldon Cooper in the TV series Big Bang Theory

My story attempt doesn’t normally fit the typical traditional oral story or one from traditional experience which storytellers usually perform.  However, I did not want something requiring the supernatural or implausible.  For that reason, I decided that time travel would be virtual.  Maybe a geekish science fiction genre doesn’t fit.  Yet even this story fits the oral traditional genre even if in a very unusual way.  Upon later reflection, I see that the story is a form of journey or quest, so maybe not so original after all.

The story concept is a variation of Mark Twain’s ‘Connecticut Yankee’, except that time travel is not practical - and our setting is in the future when virtual reality is well developed.  The ‘Connecticut Yankee’ game is a realistic simulation of travelling back in time.  The point is to see how well a modern person can get by in the past.  In theory, we modern people should have advantages by inventing things.  The protagonist regrets not being practical.  For example, if you found yourself in ancient Rome, it would be impossible to impress the Romans with modern things like computer abilities or movie star trivia – because there are no computers and movies at that time.

The brief story line is a follows.  My teller is Antonio Lanyard and he is introducing the premise of the game.  His drop (the act of beginning the trip to the past) occurs during medieval times in what is now Switzerland, but at that time is essentially run by an Austrian.  As the teller, I try to convey some unusual aspects as in the clothing being worn, the smells and possible daily habits.  Antonio struggles because he has no ‘practical’ skills, and after hearing a joke, he tries to become a jester for a Landammann (roughly equivalent to a Chief Magistrate).  His attempt involves telling a joke.  Antonio is thinking about the standard joke structure of how many x do you need to change a light bulb.  Of course, he has to modify the joke. 

He ends up having to demonstrate lighting a candle by clanging bells to create a spark.  Antonio has to bluff himself out of this predicament.  He stumbles upon a stall tactic: he will teach Euchre.  To teach the game, he needs to invent playing cards.  At the end, when people are playing cards in candlelight, he cheats by using another candle to light the Landammann’s candle.  This doesn’t impress the locals but he has an idea as to how to justify his act. But suddenly Antonio needs to defecate.  I end my story at the point when he wonders what people use as toilet paper. 

When I performed my story, the theme for story tellers that evening was about connecting with nature.  In its own indirect way, in my story there is a connection to this theme.  Many of us can no longer identify common plants and animals, can’t grow or make our food and other similar skills.  This is because we can get by without them.  However, if you find yourself in a situation as in the past, these skills suddenly become necessary.  Even our abilities to think have declined because of our dependency on electronic assistants and the Internet.

I am thinking of continuing my ‘Connecticut Yankee’ story.  What I ended up writing became somewhat more bizarre, with some attempts at humour.  Whether it succeeded or not in conveying a message of being practical is another matter.  Alas, there is no real ending and that was intentional.  In my performance, when I said ‘the end,’ that was a lie.  In retrospect, I should have said ‘to be continued.’  Whether I continue this story remains to be seen. 
  


My own feeling about performing the story is mixed.  Honestly, I am uncertain as to what people thought of it.  It may have had too much, and as mentioned before, I could have stated there is more to tell but that is left for another time. 

One listener talked to me at some length due to his Swiss background.  We talked about the history.  The setting is the same time and place for a Swiss hero, William Tell.  He is famous for being forced to shoot an arrow at an apple set upon his son’s head because he wouldn’t pay the proper respect to the Austrian lord, Gessler.  When writing my story, I researched things such as playing cards, bathrooms, clothing and historical characters amongst other things.  I chose the town of Altdorf more or less arbitrarily but I have actually visited the place.  What I remember most is how small the sky is and that Altdorf is by a lake surrounded by mountains.

My story is technical in parts. I wanted to keep the story realistic, and that meant introducing technical elements.  Spending more time to ease through these parts might help.  An alternative would be to have an imaginary world with time travel, or turn it into a dream (a big cheat) or write it in a more mythic fantasy style. 

But I am a science geek so I have attempted this version of my story in terms of a virtual reality context, albeit extremely sophisticated, but plausibly it could exist in the future.

Want more information about the MOOC? Check out this link:

It will probably run again in a few months.

All Rights Reserved by Peter Spasov (2014)
Peter can be contacted at peterboroughstorytellers@cogeco.ca

Become a friend of Peterborough Storytellers on Facebook: www.facebook.com/peterboroughstorytellers

No comments:

Post a Comment