Monday, February 24, 2014

THE SECOND STORY OF THE BLACK BEAR MASK - PART FOUR

By Rita Grimaldi

The Hero and the Mask
         
I usually choose the hero of the story to tell the story. A mask representing the story’s hero tells his own story. This was not the case in last night’s telling of The Boy Who Lived With Bears. The Boy is the hero of the story. The story is about the boy’s journey out of the world of humans and into the wild world of the bears. And then back into the world of humans. Yet it never crossed my mind to have the boy tell the story. As I consider the power and emotion in last night’s performance, I wonder why I did not consider using a mask representing the Boy as the teller.

 The Boy, his Uncle and the Bear
         
The deep unconscious answer is that I thought the boy in the story was too vulnerable to be the teller. Certainly there have been other vulnerable heroes that have told their stories in mask through me. The Curious Girl’s story told last March is an example on one of these heroes (see our YouTube video).

But while the girl resolves her vulnerability by overcoming her adversary, the boy in this story does not. His adversary repents his bad behaviour but my question is would this repentance last. That is why I rewrote the ending of the original story to say that after the boy leaves Mother Bear she still watches to see that his uncle treats him well. My feeling is that even at the end of the story the boy needs to have her protection. Mother Bear says to the boy “Grandson, we will always be your relatives.”

This statement confirms that she will always be there to help him. As the storyteller I wanted to feel her strength and power as a protective force. I wanted to know that it would be there as long as the boy was a child.

The Boy, the Bear and the Spirit of the Northern Forest
         
So I chose the protective bear to tell the story. But the boy had his moments of dialogue through the bear. The most powerful section of the boy’s dialogue is when the Mother Bear describes him crawling out of the log to defend his adopted bear family. Mother Bear says in the boy’s voice, “Stop! Don’t hurt my family.” So in my body wearing the bear mask, I felt both the power and strength of Mother Bear and the vulnerability and courage of the boy. Still, this was not enough.

I wanted a second level of protection. So in the last week before performance, I added the Tree Spirit mask.  This mask portrayed the spirit of the northern forest. The Tree Spirit mask added the magic ability of a spirit presence who was able to witness the evil deed of the uncle and to bring the help of the animals to the boy.



Performance in the Black Bear Mask

The Experience of Telling the Story
         
The two masks I used to tell this story caused almost overwhelming feelings of different forms of identity in me. Once I accepted the power of the bear into me (read previous posts above) it swept over my body like a wave of strength. It gathered and focused all the power of my body in the story’s task of protecting its own life and the lives of its bear cubs and its human cub. The Tree Spirit mask, taking the role of the Spirit of the Northern Forest, gave me a real tangible presence, inside my body, of the spirit reality of nature.
         
The experience of rehearsing and telling this story in these two masks brought me into a feeling mode that I have not experienced before in mask. Usually when I perform in mask, there is a cognitive track running simultaneously with the feeling of the story. This performance obliterated the cognitive function of my mind. My mind ran on the Bear’s feelings of power, strength and protection of her young and on the Tree Spirit’s feeling of magic and spiritual reality.
         
Having lived this story through these two masks, I will always have some part of the strength of Mother Bear inside me. And I will always have some of the Tree Spirit’s feeling of the spirit of the forest inside me.
         
This is the achievement of performing this story in these masks. And it is an achievement that will always remain with me.

All rights reserved by Rita Grimaldi (2014)

Rita welcomes your comments on her Black Bear mask series of posts.
 She can be contacted at peterboroughstorytellers@cogeco.ca









No comments:

Post a Comment